Womens Homeless Initiative (WHI)
Once a quarter, volunteers from Wash Park UCC support First Unitarian Society of Denver, which hosts 25 homeless women, providing a safe and loving place to rest for a night. Together, we turn First Unitarian’s community space into a temporary home.
Wash Park volunteers help with a range of preparation and hosting activities:
- Helping convert the community space into sleeping and dining areas. We set up cots, put out chairs, and make up the cots with sheets, pillows and blankets.
- Preparing and serving dinner, along with kitchen cleanup. This is a great opportunity for core circles, youth groups, and families. Kids can help serve dinner and clean up dishes.
- Staying overnight to provide a sense of safety for our guests. Two volunteers perform this function. Overnight volunteers can sleep.
- Cleaning up in the morning, converting the temporary home back into the community room.
- Washing sheets for the next rotation.
The overnight program has been suspended due to COVID. WHI anticipates restarting that program this fall, with additional protocols in place to protect our guest women and our dedicated volunteers. Stay tuned for more info!
Bag Lunch Brigade:
The Bag Lunch Brigade is WHI’s effort at Wash Park UCC to prepare meals for local organizations that help those experiencing homelessness. Below are the upcoming dates that you can sign up to provide items for the next delivery.
October 11-12: Prep in the Gathering Space
November 22: Prep at Bev’s (not at the church building)
Sign up to provide items for the October delivery: